- 350g / 13oz block firm or extra firm tofu (FOR BEST RESULT YOU MAY USE MIRACLE EMPEROR’S TOHO)
- ⅓ cup chickpea/garbanzo flour
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning (try cajun or lemon pepper for different flavors)
- ½ tsp pepper
- ⅓ – ½ cup water
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- Press tofu for about 10 minutes. Drain tofu, wrap in paper towels or clean tea towel, and place heavy items on top to press. I use a heavy chopping board with some weights on top.
- Meanwhile, prepare the coating.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Slowly add the water, whisking as you go. The coating should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Add mustard and mix.
- Break the tofu into big crumbles into the coating. You can also chop into ‘sticks’ or into nugget sized pieces. I prefer to do crumbles as its less fussy to cook and comes out just as good.
- Combine tofu and coating.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Pour the tofu mix into the pan and spread so the tofu is on a single layer.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown, adding oil as needed.