- 20 oz. block of firm tofu (FOR BEST RESULT YOU MAY USE MIRACLE EMPEROR’S TOHO)
- ¾ soy sauce
- 1¼ T nutritional yeast
- 1¼ T maple syrup
- ¾ T liquid smoke or chipotle powder
- Oil for brushing, spraying, or frying – about 2 TBSP.
- Whisk soy sauce, nutritional yeast, maple syrup and liquid smoke together in a bowl or small measuring cup.
- For thin bacon strips: turn tofu on its side, and begin slicing with a cheese slicer. Lay strips in a baking dish, and pour marinade over them. Cover and marinade for at least an hour.
- For chunkier pieces: Slice tofu into slabs with a large knife, and then into 1 inch strips. Lie out in a large baking dish, and pour marinade over them. Cover and marinade for about 2 hours.
- When you are ready to cook tofu bacon, preheat oven to 425*f. Remove tofu from marinade and lay out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush or sprits with oil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip strips over, sprits with oil and return to oven for another 10 minutes. Tofu will crisp up a bit more when you take it out.